Summer Camp Intern
About Associates: Smithsonian Associates advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Intern Duties: Provide much-needed support to the Summer Camp team by assisting with all aspects of the daily running of Summer Camp, including:
- Supervision of campers and orchestration of Youth Teacher Assistant program
- Upkeep of rosters and camper paperwork, communication with camp instructors and parents
- Supply organization and procurement
- Provide other assistance as needed
Professional Development Opportunities:
- Experience in arts administration
- Creation of and execution of museum-based children’s programs
- The opportunity to create Smithsonian camps for upcoming summers
- Interaction with top-caliber camp instructors
- Volunteer management experience
- Background or strong interest in working with children and/or program administration
- Ability to work quickly with great attention to detail
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel
- Strong computer and communication skills
- Capability to collaborate as a member of a team
- Professional demeanor
Season:Summer (early June – late August)
Time Commitment:40 hours/week; 1 full summer
Schedule:Mon – Fri, 8:30am – 5:00pm during summer camp, 10:00am – 5:00pm prior to camp
Supervisor: Brigitte Blachere, Program Manager
Compensation: All Smithsonian Associates internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern’s university/college. Interns may also participate in Before/After Care duties, and thus be eligible for a weekly stipend. Information about the Before/After Camp duties will be provided during the applicant’s interview, if selected.
Location: S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the date below:
Summer Positions: February 1
Applications received after this date will still be considered on an as-needed basis.