TSA Smithsonian At 8 Intern
About TSA: The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Intern Duties: Promotional and programmatic support for the “Smithsonian at 8” an after-hours, Smithsonian-wide series targeted at young professionals. The intern will assist with general event planning as well as social media outreach. Tasks include:
- Maintaining/enhancing the “Smithsonian at 8” social media profiles on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr
- Researching similar events in DC and beyond and suggesting best practices
- Logistical planning, including communicating with vendors, partners, artists and performers; ordering supplies; and attending planning meetings and discussions
- Event implementation, including greeting the general public and answering questions; helping with set-up and clean-up; and supporting vendors, partners, artists and performers by addressing equipment, technical, and other needs
- Assists the programming department with additional duties as assigned.
- Apply internet research skills and gain experience in social media marketing
- Develop experience in event planning and production
- Improve writing skills through a variety of communication mediums (formal correspondence, marketing materials, web content)
- Expand professional network in producing “Smithsonian at 8” events
- Ability to work efficiently with attention to detail
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word & Microsoft Excel
- Internet research skills, including social media and networking sites
- Knowledge of and interest in culture, art, science and/or history and programming in a museum setting
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to creatively solve problems as they arise and work with loose supervision
- Must be able to interact with different types of people while maintaining a professional demeanor.
Seasons: Spring (Jan – May), Fall (Sept – Dec)
Time Commitment: 25 hrs/week; 1 full semester
Schedule: Mon – Fri, 10:00am to 3:00/4:00pm plus 2-3 evening events throughout the semester)
Supervisors: Cat Aboudara, Program Coordinator; and Lauren Rosenberg, Program Coordinator
Awards Package: none
Location: S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the dates below: Fall Positions: July 1; Winter/Spring Positions: October 1 (Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis).
To Apply: Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.