Disocvery Theater Museum Theater and Education Intern
About TSA: The Smithsonian Associates advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections. Discovery Theater offers the best in live performance for young people that taps into the vast resources of the Smithsonian Institution to present relevant, culturally accurate entertaining programs. We offer dozens of interactive productions that feature puppets, storytellers, dancers, actors, musicians, and even mimes!
- Attend meetings, rehearsals and possible auditions
- Write report of each activity attended and create action items generated
- Meet daily with staff to discuss completed programs and upcoming events
- Generate, edit and update scripts, learning materials, and online content
- Explore the Smithsonian, thinking about the potential connection to DT programs. Share those thoughts with Director in short storyboards or written idea papers
- Usher and assist at DT events, programs and show
- Write weekly reports outlining tasks completed, challenges and reflections
Professional Development Opportunities:
- The intern will be exposed to artistic administration including season planning, developing museum theater pieces, and using theater as an educational tool
- If schedule permits, the intern will have the opportunity to assist the Director on a produced show and/or assist in creating the script or PowerPoint presentation
- We seek candidates who have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Candidate should also be responsible, creative, personable and resourceful
- Must have a professional demeanor, writing ability and internet research skills
- Familiarity with computers, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- A history or interest in theatre and/or arts education and administration is a must!
Seasons: Spring (Jan – May), Summer (Jun – July) & Fall (Sept – Dec)
Time Commitment: 30 – 40 hrs/week; 1 full semester – 1 academic year. Part-time availability will also be considered
Schedule:Weekdays with an occasional weekend day or evening
Supervisors:Roberta Gasbarre, Discovery Theater Programmer
Compensation: All TSA Internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern’s university/college.
Location:S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the dates below:
Fall Positions: July 1
Winter/Spring Positions: October 1
Summer Positions: February 1
Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.