Internship Opportunity with ForestGEO
CTFS – ForestGEO Internship Program
Timeframe: At least 3 months
The Center for Tropical Forest Science – ForestGEO is dedicated to the study of tropical and temperate forest function and diversity and global climate change. The multi-institutional network comprises of over 60 forest research forests across the Americas, Africa, Asia, and Europe. CTFS – ForestGEO achieves these goals through international collaborations and partnerships, scientific capacity building, and rigorous, long-term, and standardized data collection and analysis of the growth and survival of over 6 million trees and 10,000 species.
This is a paid internship opportunity wherein the intern will learn about data management as it relates to the CTFS-ForestGEO network. The intern will review, clean, and analyze data from the ForestGEO tree growth database, identify data integrity issues, and work to resolve them under the supervision of Stuart Davies, ForestGEO Director. The intern should have familiarity with Microsoft Excel and basics of ecology. Experience with other database programs (e.g., SQL, MySQL, Filemaker, MS Access) and the R programming language would be an advantage.
Through this internship, the intern will
- Develop critical skills associated with data management
- Learn about the diversity of tropical forests and tree species taxonomy
- Develop understanding of biodiversity databases and research work flows
- Gain exposure to non-profit, international program by collaborating with STRI and global partners
Experience will be best suited for candidates to whom the following applies:
- Students who are enrolled in a four-year college or university or recent college graduates
- Students with an interest in refining their knowledge of:
- Database management
- International collaborations and partnerships
- Students with a solid understanding of MS Office
Desired Hours: Full time or part-time, ideally three full days/week minimum
Project Point of Contact: CTFS-ForestGEO Director will provide mentoring and management.
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to Lauren Krizel (KrizelL@si.edu) by Wednesday 9/6/17.