Office of Communications and External Affairs Video Internship
The Smithsonian Office of Communications and External Affairs seeks a senior undergraduate or graduate intern to help create short videos for the website Insider.si.edu. Videos will highlight the work of Smithsonian’s scholarly and research staff and in part, feature short interviews. Internship involves hands-on learning and one-on-one interactions with Office of Public Affairs staff and research staff from around the Smithsonian, from the art museums to the Zoo. This is a fantastic opportunity for a motivated media student to add to her/his video portfolio.
Project Description: Creating short, web-based videos for the public Smithsonian website Insider.si.edu. Intern will film and interview Smithsonian staff to create several 2-3 minute videos to be used on Insider.si.edu. Successful candidate will project-manage each shoot, including pre-production, filming, writing, interviewing, post production and editing with guidance from Insider.si.edu managing editor and other Office of Public Affairs staff.
Dates: January-May 2017 (negotiable)
Intern Learning Objectives:
- Develop experience developing story concepts, pre-planning, shooting and editing video that highlights the work of the Smithsonian’s scholarly and research staff and tells compelling, buzz-worthy stories.
- Expand knowledge of how large organizations use owned media and how video can be a critical part of an organization’s owned strategy.
- Increase experience in video editing and video shooting techniques
Award Package: $1,500 stipend/semester
Application Deadline: Friday 1/6/17
For more information or to apply, please contact John Barrat at email@example.com.
Applicants should send:
• Statement of interest and desired learning outcomes
• Copy of unofficial transcript
• Web links to previous video projects