TSA Studio Arts Intern
About TSA: The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Intern Duties: The primary responsibility will be research and development of an increased web presence for the Studio Arts department. This portion of the internship is somewhat self-directed with oversight by the Studio Arts Coordinator. Tasks include:
- Maintaining/enhancing the Studio Arts social media profiles on Facebook & Twitter
- Maintaining/enhancing the Studio Arts department fledgling art-related blog
- Providing content for a Studio Arts landing page on the TSA website.
The intern will also assist the TSA Studio Arts department by providing program support including: logistical set-up, research, budgeting, marketing, and correspondence with staff, vendors, and the general public including direct, hands-on, support for fall and/or winter studio art programs.
- Expand internet research skills and gain experience in social marketing
- Improve writing skills through a variety of communication mediums (formal correspondence, marketing materials, web content)
- Hands-on participation in producing Studio Arts classes
- Ability to work efficiently with attention to detail
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word & Microsoft Excel
- Internet research skills, including social media and networking sites
- Knowledge of and interest in the visual arts and continuing educational programming in a museum setting
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to creatively problem-solve and work with loose supervision.
- Applicant must be able to interact with many different types of people while maintaining a professional demeanor.
Terms: Spring (Jan – May), Summer (Jun – Aug) & Fall (Sept – Dec)
Time Commitment: 25 hrs/week; 1 full semester
Schedule: Mon – Fri, 10:00am to 3:00/4:00pm
Supervisor: Marybeth Kelley, Program Coordinator for Studio Arts
Award Package: None
Location: S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the dates below: Fall Positions: July 1; Winter/Spring Positions: October 1; Summer Positions: February 1 (Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis).
To Apply: Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.