TSA Social Media Intern
About TSA: The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
- Create new content and research relevant content to publish to The Smithsonian Associates’ Blog, Facebook, and Twitter accounts
- Update account profile information and customize profile design
- Monitor and respond to comments; engage fans and followers in conversation
- Research and implement new creative strategies for expanding social media reach
- Attend TSA events to develop content for blog and other social media platforms
- Assist with monitoring and reporting on the success of social media initiatives
- Create and customize profiles and pages on new and existing social media platforms
- Gain experience in communicating to a large audience and representing the Smithsonian brand
- Network with interns in TSA and across the Smithsonian
- Enthusiastic about social media
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Professional demeanor, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking
- Comfortable utilizing Facebook, Twitter, Typepad, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, Tumblr, Hootsuite
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to take and upload digital photos; photography experience a plus
Seasons: Spring (Jan – May), Summer (Jun – Aug) & Fall (Sept – Dec)
Time Commitment: 20 hours/week minimum; 1 full semester
Schedule: Mon – Fri, timing flexible
Supervisors: Public Affairs Specialist and Donor Events Coordinator
Award Package: None
Location: S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the dates below: Fall Positions: July 1; Winter/Spring Positions: October 1; Summer Positions: February 1. Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.
To Apply: Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.