TSA Performing Arts Intern
TSA: The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Intern Duties: Intern will assist with all aspects of TSA Performing Arts programming, including:
- Research, booking, budgets, contract negotiation, season planning, logistical set-up, and marketing
- Provide direct, hands-on support through the design and production of printed event programs, flyers, patron correspondence, and onsite support of performing arts, film and family programs
- Assist with box office and house management duties during some evening and weekend productions
- Spring interns will also assist with the planning, preparation and/or execution of TSA’s Smithsonian Sleepover program.
Learning Objectives: By working closely with the Program Manager, the Intern will gain experience in all aspects of program and event production, including: Budgeting, performance reporting, customer service, trouble-shooting/problem-solving, adapting to different situations, multi-tasking, creative thinking, researching, coordination at events, creating and maintaining inventories, editing promotional materials, communication, box office and house management, organization and time management, event management.
- Experience and/or interest in supporting performing arts presentations, house management, arts management, and/or event planning
- Background or strong interest in music, dance, theater, or event planning required
- Preferred that spring applicants have an interest and/or experience working with children ages 8-12
- Ability to work quickly with attention to detail both independently and as a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the Internet
- Must be able to interact with many different types of people while maintaining a professional demeanor
Terms: Spring (Jan – May) & Fall (Sept – Dec)
Time Commitment: Hours flexible; 1 full semester
Schedule: Mon – Fri, timing flexible
Supervisors: Liz Paige, Program Coordinator & Brigitte Blachere, Performing Arts Manager
Award Package : None
Location: S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the dates below: Fall Positions: July 1; Winter/Spring Positions: October 1 (Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis).
To Apply: Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.