TSA EDUCATION PROGRAMS (SMITHSONIAN SLEEPOVERS) INTERN
About TSA: The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Intern Duties: Intern will assist with all aspects of the Smithsonian Sleepovers program, including:
- Research, budgets, logistical set-up, maintaining inventory, marketing, coordinating volunteers
- Provide direct, hands-on support through the design and production of printed educational materials, and onsite support the night of the sleepovers. Some evening and weekend hours.
- Opportunity to also provide assistance to other cultural and educational programs.
Learning Objectives: By working closely with the Program Manager, the Intern will coordinate and manage all aspects of Smithsonian Sleepover program and gain experience in educational and cultural event production. Opportunities include: creative thinking, organizing and maintaining the budget, customer service, trouble-shooting/problem-solving, adapting to different situations, multi-tasking, researching, coordination at events, maintaining supplies, editing promotional materials, communication, organization and time management, event management.
- Experience and/or interest working with children ages 8-12 and their parents/chaperones
- Background or strong interest in education, music, dance, theater, or event planning required
- Ability to work quickly with attention to detail both independently and as a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the Internet
- Must be able to interact with many different types of people while maintaining a professional demeanor
Term: Summer (May – end of Aug)
Time Commitment: Hours flexible; 1 full semester
Schedule: Mon – Fri, timing flexible
Supervisors: Liz Paige, Program Coordinator & Brigitte Blachere, Performing Arts Manager
Award Package: None
Location: S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the dates below: Summer Positions: February 1. Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.
To Apply: Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.