Office of Investments Internship
Smithsonian Office of Investments (OI)
An internship with the Office of Investments is an opportunity for students with a passion for and curiosity in institutional investment management to gain practical skills and experience. The program offers a full-time summer program in our Washington, DC office.
The Office of Investments (OI) manages investments and is responsible for the growth, safety, and integrity of the Institution’s financial assets. The Chief Investment Officer provides advice to senior management and unit managers on a range of financial issues, including the investment and management of the Institution’s resources.
The Smithsonian Institution has a $1.3 billion Endowment that hires external investment managers to invest in diverse asset classes and strategies that include global equity, fixed income, hedge funds, private equity and real assets. The working capital fund is invested in high grade fixed income securities. The Smithsonian receives approximately 70% of its funding from the Federal government with the balance from its Endowment, research grants, philanthropic donations, and the income from its commercial activities.
Learning objectives for interns include:
- Understand OI’s day-to-day procedures through involvement in administrative and clerical tasks
- Gain working knowledge about asset classes as well as the Institution’s investment management process
- Learn the process of documenting investment information by maintaining OI’s electronic filing system
- Hone research and analytical skills by assisting with various research projects (gathering data, summarizing information, using Bloomberg, preparing synopses for review by staff, etc.)
- Strengthen written and oral skills through presentations, reports and correspondence
Desired Qualifications: College/university juniors, seniors or graduate students studying business, economics, mathematics or related field. Other majors welcome to apply. Must be organized, detail-oriented, have strong quantitative/analytical skills, and be proficient in Excel.
Summer internships are anticipated to begin on the first Monday in June and end in mid-August. Hours are full-time (40 hours/week) for 10 weeks.
$5,500/term for 40 hours/week.
Applications for summer program should be submitted by March 6, 2015.
Contact Information: Helena Hong, HongH@si.edu, (phone) 202-633-4719; (fax) 202-312-1969
Apply Through: SOLAA