Discovery Theater Technical Intern
The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Discovery Theater – The Smithsonian’s Discovery Theater is dedicated to offering the best in live performance for young people that celebrate the rich diversity of our region and our world. Each season we tap into the vast resources of the Smithsonian Institution to present relevant, culturally accurate entertaining programs. We offer dozens of interactive productions that feature puppets, storytellers, dancers, actors, musicians, and even mimes!
- Assist with various aspects of the technical side of theater.
- Throughout the semester, there will be opportunities to learn and assist in some of the following areas: stage management, assistant direction, sound, lighting, props & costumes.
- Intern will participate actively in running and preparing for both produced and presented shows for Discovery Theater.
- May also be called on to assist in office duties, daily operations, artist communication, and hospitality.
- Learn basic technical aspects of a theater work.
- Gain insight into the administrative side of technical theater.
- Depending on schedule, intern will learn SFX, sound & light boards, basic sound editing, sound and lighting design.
- Some experience and a desire to learn more about Technical Theater.
- Applicants should be flexible, creative, a team player, reliable, and have a good work ethic.
- Willingness to help load artists in/out and setup/tear down stage and seating.
- Computer skills are welcome.
Terms: Spring (Jan – May), Summer (Jun – July) & Fall (Sept – Dec)
Time Commitment: 30 – 40 hrs/week; 1 full semester – 1 academic year. Part-time availability will also be considered.
Schedule: Weekdays with an occasional weekend day or evening
Supervisor: Sara Lokossou, Box Office Manager
Award Package: None
Location: S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the f0llowing dates: Fall Positions: July 1; Winter/Spring Positions: October 1; Summer Positions: February 1 (Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.)
To Apply: Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.