The Smithsonian Associates Studio Arts Internship
The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) are looking for Studio Arts Interns for Summer, Fall, and Spring.
The primary responsibility will be research and development of an increased web presence for the Studio Arts department. This portion of the internship is somewhat self-directed with oversight by the Studio Arts Coordinator. Tasks include:
- Maintaining/enhancing the Studio Arts social media profiles on Facebook & Twitter
- Maintaining/enhancing the Studio Arts department fledgling art-related blog
- Providing content for a Studio Arts landing page on the TSA website.
The intern will also assist the TSA Studio Arts department by providing program support including: logistical set-up, research, budgeting, marketing, and correspondence with staff, vendors, and the general public including direct, hands-on, support for fall and/or winter studio art programs.
- Expand internet research skills and gain experience in social marketing
- Improve writing skills through a variety of communication mediums (formal correspondence, marketing materials, web content)
- Hands-on participation in producing Studio Arts classes
- Ability to work efficiently with attention to detail
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word & Microsoft Excel
- Internet research skills, including social media and networking sites
- Knowledge of and interest in the visual arts and continuing educational programming in a museum setting
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to creatively problem-solve and work with loose supervision.
- Applicant must be able to interact with many different types of people while maintaining a professional demeanor.
Spring (Jan – May), Summer (Jun – Aug) & Fall (Sept – Dec)
25 hrs/week; 1 full semester
Mon – Fri, 10:00am to 3:00/4:00pm
Marybeth Kelley, Program Coordinator for Studio Arts
All TSA Internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern’s university/college.
S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the dates below:
Fall Positions: July 1
Winter/Spring Positions: October 1
Summer Positions: February 1
Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.