Smithsonian Wikipedian In Residence Internship
Call for Applicants: Wikipedian in Residence for the Smithsonian
Deadline: April 30, 2013
The Smithsonian Institution is seeking applicants for a Wikipedian in Residence for Summer 2013. This is a student intern position.
Founded in 1846, the Smithsonian is the world’s largest museum and research complex, consisting of 19 museums and galleries, the National Zoological Park, and nine research facilities (learn more).
The Wikipedian in Residence will help coordinate efforts across the Smithsonian, strengthening the ongoing Smithsonian Institution WikiProject (WP:GLAM/SI), and acting as a liaison to the Wikimedia community.
Schedule: 32-40 hours per week, minimum 10 weeks
Location: Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC.
Eligibility and Skills:
- You must be enrolled in a full- or half-time college or university academic program for Fall 2013. (If not, please explain in cover letter how your learning goals and interests match the learning objectives offered by this opportunity.)
- You must be an experienced contributor to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Commons and currently be in good standing within the community
- Good communications skills and desire to strengthen them through oral and written presentation
- Experience working in teams and interest in honing your ability to collaborate effectively
This internship will provide an introduction to –
- the broad range of disciplines across science, history, art, and culture that the Smithsonian addresses through its collections and research
- the many different people, organizational units, and systems that support the Smithsonian digital enterprise and how they work together
Projects may include the following:
- Sharing knowledge – By instructing Smithsonian staff and answering questions about best practices and policies on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons, you will further master Wikipedia skills
- Events – Gaining event planning experience by planning special outreach events such as a backstage pass & edit-a-thon, photo scavenger hunt, or editing challenge
- Organizing categories – Working with Smithsonian staff to analyze, optimize, and document Smithsonian-related categories as applied to articles and assets on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons
- Commons contribution – Learning digital content managmenet by helping identify and transfer appropriate digital content from the Smithsonian collections to Wikimedia Commons
- Technical tools – Planning and creating tools and templates that will make it easier for Wikipedia editors to identify, use, and cite Smithsonian resources on Wikipedia
How to Apply
Your application must include:
1) Cover letter – Please explain why you would like to be the Wikipedian in Residence at the Smithsonian. Include your Wikipedia username and an overview of your experience as a Wikipedia editor. Be sure to discuss WikiProjects that you have been involved with and describe the technical and other skills you would bring.
3) College transcripts (unofficial) reflecting all post-high school education
Please submit all elements of the application as a single pdf by April 30, 2013, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Please send to email@example.com.